Friday, September 25, 2009

From our TMI files

Remember McKenzie Phillips? "One Day At a Time" star, daughter of Mamas & Papas singer John Phillips? Yeah, Daddy's little darling:
"On the eve of my wedding, my father showed up, determined to stop it," writes Phillips, who was 19 and a heavy drug user at the time. "I had tons of pills, and Dad had tons of everything too. Eventually I passed out on Dad's bed."
"My father was not a man with boundaries. He was full of love, and he was sick with drugs. I woke up that night from a blackout to find myself having sex with my own father."
"Had this happened before? I didn't know. All I can say is it was the first time I was aware of it."
Phillips' life began to spiral out of control. In 1980, she was fired from One Day at a Time because of her constant drug use. That same year, she went to rehab -- with her father. Her sexual relationship with him had become consensual.
"Consensual"? Eeeesshhhh! If you're reading this at breakfast, I apologize for the vomit on your keyboard. To borrow a punchline from Lewis Grizzard, "I don't believe I'd have told that." Or, to quote a fellow blogger, "And you couldn’t go to the grave with this secret?"

Adding insult to injury incest, McKenzie waited to write her tell-too-much book until after her father was dead. Why? Because dead men don't file libel suits.

6 comments:

  1. McKenzie PhillipsFri Sep 25, 08:36:00 AM

    My father was filled with booze.
    I was filled with drugs.
    He was filled with love.
    I was soon filled with my father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awarded the THE SPOT-ON QUOTE OF THE DAY at: TCOTS in a joint award with Instapundit.

    He who controls the past controls the future.
    He who controls the present controls the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dare say Papa John was a little less full of love at the end of that night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. [applauds the pure poetry of that first comment]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. California Dreaming was one of my all-time favorite pop songs. I love playing it on the guitar. Now I'm afraid that this will always come to mind!

    Side note: I think we all know how creepy to the tenth power this story is. But think about the perspective of the pro-LGBTQ lobby. Shouldn't they be noting how it was consensual, she was an adult, they were born that way, don't be so judgmental, blah blah blah?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss Lewis Grizzard. Thank you for quoting him.

    ReplyDelete