Wednesday, March 11, 2009

'Ever get the feeling . . .'

". . . the world exists just to annoy you personally?" Thomas J. Marier writes in an e-mail, sending along happy news that Andrew Rosenthal of the New York Times sent to his staff:
Folks:
Some exciting news. We’ve hired Ross Douthat, currently of Atlantic. Ross will be joining the Times staff in mid-April and will be based in the Washington bureau. He will start out primarily online, but will soon be writing with increasing frequency, and then regularity, on the Op-Ed page, in the Monday slot opposite Paul. At some point, he’ll also resume his work as a blogger, which I highly recommend.
If you don’t know Ross, you’ll find him funny and smart and sharp. He’s going to be a great addition to our team. I know you’ll make him welcome.
Andy
(Gritted teeth.) Congratulation, Ross! We're all so excited for you!

Now excuse me while I go swallow a bottle of sleeping pills, wash it down with a quart of Chlorox, slash my wrists, get in the car, drive to the Bay Bridge, shoot myself through the head, and crash through the guard-rail to the water below.

How long until Easter?

UPDATE: Rod Dreher is giddy like a schoolgirl.

9 comments:

  1. By the way, I'm not personally annoyed. I like Ross. I just meant that the world is designed to annoy one Robert Stacy McCain. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And as you can see, the world is doing a damn fine job. :)

    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  3. I comment on this. I worry more that Brooks or Frum will sink their teeth in Douthat and he will slither into one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That New York Times sure love themselves some big gubmint conservatives, don't they?

    Why don't they mix things up a bit and invite an anarcho-capitalist to fill the slot? It's unlikely anyone will take the AC's recommendations to heart, but the stunt may increase readership.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Console yourself that at least he's boarding a sinking ship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No need to hold your tongue on March 17, as the feast of St. Patrick is technically outside of the Lenten season. So have at it on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sinking ship allusion. Let's hope it's true. Personally I think this violates child labor law.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacy, Sundays don't count for Lenten sacrifices. It's true. I ASKED A PRIEST.

    Much more of this anguished oh-why-did-I-do-this out of you and I'm going to start thinking you're purposely trying to gin up traffic on Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At the bottom of the post you had this: "Labels: douchebag, harvard, New York Times, Ross Douthat"

    This is all very redundant.

    ReplyDelete