Friday, August 22, 2008

Drawls, y'all

Joe Windish:
Where I live, the southern drawl can be so thick that I can’t make out what is being said. It’s part of what I like about the place. In 28 years in NYC I neverpicked up an accent.
Sure, Joe. Let me begin by pointing out that Southern, as a description of the American Southeast, should always be capitalized. But you've given me an excuse to hunt up video of Virginia-born Dagen McDowell:

To quote Tygrrrr Express:
Scarlett O’Hara made it to Wall Street. Her accent could melt butter, and her brilliance is overshadowed by her beauty.
I've long feared that living in New York and being on national TV, Dagen might come under pressure to lose her delightful drawl, but so far it's survived. You just don't hear that authentic Appalachian twang enough on TV. I spent 10 years living in North Georgia (Calhoun and Rome), and when I hear Dagen on TV, it's like a little touch of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment