The 10 principles on the GOP Purity test are OK, at least superficially. Now let me draw a line for you:
(0) Modulo its own employees, and federal criminals*, the Federal Government should not interact with private citizens.Having set down that marker, let's see if and how we can apply this concept to the 10 items:
(1) We support smaller government, smaller national debt, lower deficits and lower taxes by opposing bills like Obama’s "stimulus" bill.How about:
We support fiscal responsibility--no national debt, and no chronic deficits.
(2) We support market-based health care reform and oppose Obama-style government run health care.Divorcing the Federal government from individual citizens would kill ObamaCare, entitlements, and the 16th Amendment, if carried through to its logical conclusion.
(3) We support market-based energy reforms by opposing cap and trade legislation.Anyone connected with the mockery that is Warmaquiddick should be run out of DC on a rail and admonished never to open their dusty pie-holes in public again.
(4) We support workers’ right to secret ballot by opposing card check.Anything SEIU and/or ACORN support is unlikely to be something free people would want. Nuke card check.
(5) We support legal immigration and assimilation into American society by opposing amnesty for illegal immigrants.Yes.
(6) We support victory in Iraq and Afghanistan by supporting military-recommended troop surges.Yes.
(7) We support containment of Iran and North Korea, particularly effective action to eliminate their nuclear weapons threat.This needs to be strengthened. If the country is not supporting an actual Declaration of War, then we shouldn't go debasing our Constitution any more by further military adventurism.
(8) We support retention of the Defense of Marriage Act.Hmm. Principle 0 should keep the Federal hand off of everyone's naughty bits.
(9) We support protecting the lives of vulnerable persons by opposing health care rationing and denial of health care and government funding of abortion.Again, Federal involvement with individuals, their marriages, their reproduction, their wallets, their retirements, etc. is at the heart of the problems besetting the country. Bureaucrats feel this passionate need to sculpt society, to boss other people around, to define "the right thing" and set about doing it. Amputate that notion!
(10) We support the right to keep and bear arms by opposing government restrictions on gun ownership.This is the Second Amendment. Where is the emphasis on the 10th?
*Where the two are differentiable.