Monday, May 25, 2009

Why I'm not blogging much today

No, I'm not chillin' by the lake today. I'm on deadline for a column. Sample sentence:
When a guy begins a fight by slamming a barstool into the back of your head, the Marquis of Queensbury rules do not apply. If you respond by ripping open his carotid artery with the jagged edge of a broken beer bottle, whose fault is that? ("He needed killing," as Texans like to say.)*
So regular readers checking in for their daily prescription of insane commentary on contemporary events -- "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro," as the man said -- may not get the full dose today.

However, I will direct you to The Most Important Blog Post Ever Written. Other than that, check Memeorandum or sample the blogroll.

UPDATE 5:05 p.m.: Just finished the column, and the cited passage (*) has been altered to reflect changes to the draft. Writing is re-writing, as my teachers always reminded me.

3 comments:

  1. "When a guy begins a fight by slamming a barstool into the back of your head," that's the end of the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how this fight all started out, John. Toby Keith phrased it as "a mighty sucker punch came flying in from somewhere in the back". I remember that day like it was yesterday.

    That might have been the end of the fight if we all lived in Spain or France, but this ain't Spain. We shook it off like the big dogs that we are, and next thing you know the brave sons of Allah were looking for a cave to hide in. A really deep cave.

    Let RSM finish his piece. I'm sure his train of thought will be clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the original version of that sentence looked more interesting (as in I wonder how he's gonna get out of this), but I find the new version to be more satisfying. I mean in the way I sort of assume what the article's gonna be about.

    ReplyDelete