Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Palin: A praying woman

During her interview with Greta Van Susteren, Sarah Palin discussed the possibility of a 2012 presidential campaign:
"You know, I have -- faith is a very big part of my life. And putting my life in my creator's hands -- this is what I always do," said Palin, who served as running mate to Senator John McCain.
"I'm like, OK, God, if there is an open door for me somewhere, this is what I always pray, I'm like, don't let me miss the open door. Show me where the open door is," she added.
"Even if it's cracked up a little bit, maybe I'll plow right on through that and maybe
prematurely plow through it, but don't let me miss an open door.
"And if there is an open door in '12 or four years later, and if it is something that is going to be good for my family, for my state, for my nation, an opportunity for me, then I'll plow through that door."
I remember, shortly after she was nominated, seeing a video of her talk to a church group, where she said she hoped that the U.S. mission in Iraq was in accordance with God's will. And I felt, at that moment, a great calm. This is obviously a praying woman, who sincerely seeks God's will, and it seemed obvious that He had some work for her to do in the mysterious scheme of Providence. Whether or not, the Republicans won, I felt that God had a hand in it, and so I am perfectly at ease with the idea that Obama's election is likewise part of the divine plan.

Shortly before the election, and long after I had written off the possibility of a Republican victory, a Christian woman I know told me that she'd heard that the McCain campaign had instituted daily prayer sessions. And I told her that I was taught that God always answers prayer -- but "no" qualifies as an answer. She didn't mind that reply, and though she desperately wanted the GOP to win and was heartbroken by the defeat, she remains steadfast in her faith that God's will is ultimately sovereign.

God's chosen people, the Israelites, were enslaved by Egypt, then conquered by the Assyrians and the Babylonians. A remnant of Judah was restored, but then conquered by the Romans, who ultimately destroyed the temple at Jerusalem and scattered the surviving Jews. Does this mean that God favored Egypt, Assyria or Rome? No, those heathen nations were mere instruments in His work of chastising Israel for its sins, and in ultimately perfecting His great work of salvation.

We can deserve no favor of God. He is sovereign, and any blessing He bestows upon us is grace and mercy, since we deserve nothing but destruction. We should be grateful even for His chastisement as a blessing, an indication of His special interest in us. If it is God's will to destroy us, nothing can save us. However, if it is His will to save us, nothing can destroy us. Therefore we ought to be humble and grateful to have hitherto escaped destruction.

If Sarah Palin believes in that basic Romans 8:28 kind of truth -- and it seems she does -- and He "opens that door," then I will feel that it is for a reason, without presuming to know what the reason is. But the fact that this formerly obscure woman is now the No. 1 news topic in America (frankly, she's far more interesting than Obama) ought to be recognized for the miracle it is.

Hey, Allah: Believe, baby!

1 comment:

  1. As a Roman Catholic, I commend you for your perspicacious analysis of God's will and our relation to the present outcome in America.

    As he also gave us free will to resist tyranny and oppresion & fight for justice and liberty!!!

    As for Gov Palin, even the Huffington Post (btw, didn't Arianna divorce her hubby years ago, you know, the one she had no idea was gay/bi!!!)can't stop talking about her...

    She threatens both the entrenched powers of Left and the RINO-Rockefeller wing of the party.

    It's good to know that Noonan, Parker, Will, Frum, etc. are all backstabbing scumbags!

    ReplyDelete