Sunday, September 13, 2009

Years ago, when I lived in Georgia . . .

. . . I was ranting, as usual, about what's wrong with the American public education system -- i.e., everything.

An older black gentleman within earshot interrupted to say, "I'll tell you when it went wrong. It was when they took God out of school and said the children couldn't pray no more."

Christianity has always been considered a force for good in my native region. As bad as things have been at times, the fact that it has not been worse -- and it could possibly have been much, much worse -- can only be attributed to the commonality of faith, and the grace of God.

No one who attacks religion is a friend of the South, nor a humanitarian vis-a-vis race relations. If we had only science to guide us . . . Well, my father was wounded within an inch of his life in France, you see. I do not believe in accidents. And I am inarguably here, aren't I?

Is Charles Johnson a benevolent philanthropist? Does he suppose that Darwinism and the coercive secularization of American society are "progress"?
"My attitude toward progress has passed from antagonism to boredom. I have long ceased to argue with people who prefer Thursday to Wednesday because it is Thursday."
-- G.K. Chesterton, 1923
UPDATE 3:30 p.m.: Conservative lesbian Cynthia Yockey called to say, "I've got your back." Angels unaware . . .

UPDATE 3:40 p.m.: From the Book of Daniel (Collins), we now quote: "F*** off, Charles."

God told Dan to say that, I'm pretty sure . . .

UPDATE 9/14, 1:50 a.m.: From the Book of Daniel (Riehl):
While not speaking for him, I will speak out strongly on his behalf. In all that time, through all those many conversations, Stacy has never once even mentioned race to me -- regarding Obama, politics, or anything else. Were he a white supremacist, there is no way that would be the case in my opinion. So, I can conclude that he is not that.
Exactly. Years ago, when all this stuff started (and I was, at the time, forbidden to respond even in my own defense), I said confidentially to friends, "What can 'white supremacist' possibly mean in 21st-century America?" What policy was I accused of advocating, or where was the evidence of hateful scapegoating and name-calling?

If a skeptical attitude toward various sacred cows of liberal orthodoxy is "white supremacy," OK. But except for a few sentences wrenched from context, or my stubborn devil-may-care defense of the South, there wasn't even anything remotely close to evidence of ordinary prejudice, much less advocacy of a theoretical abstraction like "white supremacy."

Words have meaning, and I've long since learned to despise this Humpty-Dumpty assertion that a term as potentially damaging as "white supremacist" means whatever an accuser decides it should mean.

At times I have been accused of "defending" this or that evil, which I was merely guilty of discussing in a heterodox (and perhaps somewhat careless) manner, but this is rather like the idiotic accusation from Andrew Sullivan that, in mocking Glenn Greenwald, I was advocating "genocide of the Palestinians in Israel."

Loath to deny such a delicious smear, I supposed it won't seriously impair my dangerous reputation to state for the record that I am anti-genocide. And because "white supremacy" might mean unfair advantages for such ludicrous Caucasian fools as Glenn Greenwald, Andrew Sullivan and Charles Johnson -- to name three indisputably inferior white people -- I guess I'm against that, too.

Professor William Jacobson is among several other defenders to whom I must express gratitude. We'll try to get everybody linked up in the next few days, but for now, we need to get back to blogging about actual news.

11 comments:

  1. Oh Noes!1!11 Paula (Aka Irish Rose), Kejda, Iceweasel, and Andrea (aka Sharmuta) are pasting crayon bits to cardboard to write attacks on you now!

    Also, why is it that CJ's most diehard inner circle is all women (see above) or amibiguous girly men?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of my favorite Chesterton quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I thought the problem with education is that it stopped teaching what made this country great. They denigrate such great men as Washington and Jefferson as slave owners and fornicators while upholding people who would be reprehensible in another time. They'd rather celebrate Bobby Seal instead of Frederick Douglass, Barack Hussein Obama rather than Abraham Lincoln or even Ronald Reagan.

    As far as God goes, they just made a substitution. The state is god now and final arbiter of all things temporal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that religion has been an important and positive influence in America -- but I also believe, as the founders believed, that government has no business establishing a state religion. Public schools seem to be promoting a different kind of religion -- religion of the state -- education and government don't mix well -- that's why I'm a proponent of private education and choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find all this eerily similar to Ken Layne's bizarre reaction to Miller's speech at the 2004 RNC...paraphrasing, "I know people like Miller...they are racist!" The instability after this 'epiphany' was something sad to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe in Darwinian evolution. I believe in science. Heck, I even like photography, jazz music and bike riding. I do not care for religious fundamentalism in any form, although I recognize there is a big difference between the Christian type and the Islamic type.

    But I do not care for Charles Johnson's bullying, demogogery, and ad hominem attacks. He is a sad demented has been and soon it will just be him and Sharmutta left over at LGF. Good riddens to them both, they are loathsome.

    And as for Charles Johnson and the South...there is probably less racism in the South than there is in suburban New Jersey, New York, Pennsylivania, Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, and California. A lot less. That is simply because a lot of racial issues have been dealt with in the South.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know, Stacy. Cynthia referred to you using the adjective 'fairy.' Now you will be known as a raaaaacist, bigoted fairy.

    You'd better hire The TrogloPRPundit real quick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A racist could never have penned this Mr. Johnson:

    Taxi Driver Dittos, Rush

    By Robert Stacy McCain on 3.2.09 @ 6:10AM

    Cabs lined up with engines idling outside Washington's historic Omni Shoreham Hotel about 5 p.m. Saturday afternoon. Drivers were waiting to sweep away thousands of guests who soon would depart the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), but nobody was leaving yet, and so the drivers waited.

    "When does Rush speak?" asked a stocky driver in a blue hooded sweatshirt.

    "He just started speaking," I answered.

    "Oh, man, I wish I could be there," the driver said. "He is great."

    Wally Onakoya drives Fairway Cab No. 1 and said he had hoped to listen to Rush Limbaugh's speech on WCSP-FM, but was disappointed that Washington's C-SPAN radio station was not broadcasting it live.

    He came to America from Nigeria in 1983. A quarter-century later, he now drives his cab in the nation's capital to pay tuition for his daughter, Seun, a freshman biochemistry major at Maryland's St. Mary's College, whose school emblem adorned the blue hoodie Onakoya wore Saturday with paternal pride.

    Onakoya has been a loyal Dittohead for years. He explained that not all who ride in his cab appreciate his radio habit of listening to Limbaugh from noon to 3 p.m. weekdays.

    "Some people say he is the second coming of the devil," Onakoya said with a deep baritone chuckle.

    The driver of Fairway No. 1 said he had often been told such things, but began tuning in regularly after seeing billboard advertisements for Limbaugh's broadcast on WMAL-AM.

    "I see the sign and I say, 'I will listen to him.' Since that day, I never change my station.…He is a man, you know," Onakoya said with emphasis. "He is not all wishy-washy."

    Onakoya again expressed the wish that he could hear Limbaugh's speech, but the hotel's Regency Ballroom was packed to fire-code capacity, and CPAC attendees also filled two additional ballrooms to watch the speech on closed-circuit TV. Others gathered for the final day of the annual conference were watching on plasma screens in the hotel corridors, in the basement exhibition hall, and in the lobby bar, which was unusually quiet for the occasion. Yet while thousands at CPAC and millions coast-to-coast watched what Rush called his "first address to the nation," the Dittohead cabbie was missing out.

    "Come on," I told Onakoya. "I know where you can watch it."

    I stubbed out my cigarette, and the driver of Fairway No. 1 followed me through a side door of the hotel into a private hospitality suite hosted by Victory Solutions, a rapidly growing political technology firm. I'd met the company's president, Shannon Burns, while covering last month's RNC meeting, and had gladly acted on his encouragement to bring fellow journalists to enjoy the hospitality suite's amenities during the conference.

    The crowd gathered inside the Victory Solutions suite Saturday was watching Limbaugh's speech in respectful silence, and no one noticed as Onakoya and I entered quietly through the side door and stood near the back of the room.

    "For those of you just tuning in on Fox News or C-SPAN," the man on the big-screen TV was saying, "I am Rush Limbaugh, and I want everyone in this room, and every one of you around the country, to succeed. I want anyone who believes in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness to succeed.…The American people may not all vote as we would wish them to, but more Americans live their lives as conservatives in one degree or another. They are waiting for leadership."

    Limbaugh continued speaking, while I went to grab two ice-cold bottled waters and returned to hand one to Onakoya.


    Cont'd...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cont'd...


    "How did the United States of America become the world's lone superpower, the world's economic engine, the most prosperous opportunity for an advanced lifestyle that humanity has ever known? How did this happen? And why, pray tell, does the president of the United States want to destroy it? It saddens me.…

    "President Obama is so busy trying to foment and create anger in a created atmosphere of crisis, he's so busy fueling the emotions of class envy that he's forgotten it's not his money he's spending. In fact, the money he's spending is not ours. He is spending wealth that has yet to be created, and that is not sustainable. It will not work."

    (Rush Limbaugh is said to be an avid American Spectator reader, but perhaps this is merely further proof that great minds think alike.)

    Onakoya applauded along with many others, both in the hospitality suite and in the ballroom, as Rush paid tribute to the greatness of America and her people. And he listened as Limbaugh discussed, with tremendous passion, the human wreckage created by decades of liberal policy and the message of victimhood that Democrats convey to the poor.

    "It breaks our heart to see this," Rush said. "We can't have a great country and a growing economy, with more and more people being told…that they have a right to the earnings of others."

    From the corner of my eye, through the window, I saw the cab at the head of the queue in front of the Omni Shoreham roll forward to pick up a fare. I nudged Onakoya to indicate that his services were needed outside as the taxi herd was slowly rearranged.

    "Thank you so much," the cabbie told me, after we'd pushed through the door and were strolling back toward the driveway. I assured Onakoya that the pleasure was entirely mine, and that it was he who deserved gratitude, not I.

    Today at 12:06 p.m., while Fairway Cab No. 1 rolls through the streets of Washington, the taxi's radio will carry the voice of a man who cares more for the opinion of cab drivers than for the praise of elitists. Rush looks at this country's Wally Onakoyas and sees like-minded souls engaged with him in the "relentless pursuit of excellence."

    Why do the liberal elitists insist we should see such proudly independent Americans as something else, or something less?

    --------------


    RSMcCain is a man too, you know...



    Mrs. Peperium

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charles Johnson is a douchebag. There's not a reputable blogger around who takes that man seriously anymore. He came off whatever thin rails he was riding a few years back when he declared his insane war against a bloc of highly respected conservative bloggers.

    He's just another moronic liberal who sees imaginary racist hatemongers around every corner.

    I've got your back, too Stacy. F*uck Charles Johnson and the bike he rode in on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Calling Johnson an atheist and Archibald an alcoholic doesn't refute the specific allegations that you've made racist comments.

    You admitted to Alan Colmes that you posted on freerepublic under a handle that was an homage to John C. Calhoun, the pro-slavery southern senator. It was reported that one of your freep posts (all of which were subsequently deleted) said it was "natural" to feel "revulsion" about interracial marriage. True or false?

    ReplyDelete