CNS News reports:
The Social Security Administration (SSA) has issued benefit checks totaling $40.3 million to an estimated 6,100 beneficiaries for months – and in some cases for decades -- after receiving notification of their deaths, according to a June audit report from the agency’s Office of Inspector General.A few points come to mind:
- The Federal government has no business involving itself with individual citizens, other than that gross wart the 16th Amendment.
- States should be empowered to run things as inefficiently as they care to, without hammering the other 49 States.
- Managing entitlement programs that citizens want at the State level increases the likelihood that said programs will run balanced books, and thus have a sustainable funding profile.
- Keeping said programs at a State level reserves an invaluable oversight role to the Federal government.
- Even if you want to build some economy-of-scale case that FDR wasn't a nitwit for implementing Social Security, due to the technological constraints of threescore and ten years ago, the sun has set on those days.