Monday, June 1, 2009

Romney: Obama of the Right?

by Smitty (hat tip: American Power Blog)

  He's interesting on distributing GM shares. But to claim that the GOP, which has tolerated the federal flattening of the individual through the willful ignorance of 10th Amendment since FDR, cares much for conservative values, is just a bit much.

  Mitt: we don't care about your precious party. Partys are tools for denigrating politics to the level of a sport. If the voting population is distracted from the history and policy at stake by a bunch of questions about which jersey a candidate wears, then who wins? Not the voters. We care about the 50 states, one Constitution, and the principles on which they're founded far more than any particular narcissist in a stuffed shirt with an immaculate coiffure. Though, one must admit, the cologne work was impressive:

  Why the psdeudonym? ;)

  And before decapitating me in the comments, let me clarify: the BHO comparison is not about experience. Romney certainly has plenty. The comparison is about the stylishness of the presentation, at some cost to substance. I thought Romney delivered an excellent speech at CPAC. I'd like to hear him discuss, in detail, the fallout of his healthcare initiative in the Bay State.

8 comments:

  1. No head rolling here from me. I agree in so many ways Stacy. My mother called me earlier this evening and said that she had from 'Matt Romney' on Fox News and how much she had loved him. Of course, being a good son I didn't correct her mispronouncing his name, I just simply pointed out that 'Mit's' record as governor in Mass. was less than stellar by conservative/libertarian standards. I did love his CPAC speech as well, but I am still dubious of his true intentions and character. Time will tell.......
    LCR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hungry like the wolf, woof! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6bZSM48vU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more. The GOP used to be a good vehicle to advance conservative principles. Now, not so much.

    I believe the pissed off base is the true lesson of 2006 and 2008, and the fact that the GOP still doesn't get it just furthers my impression of their uselessness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Partys" are known to many of us as "parties." Just say'in . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, the last thing we need in 2012 is another "moderate" old white guy in a business suit - who supported TARP and once supported abortion. Romney's flip flopped on so many issues, I have no idea what he stands for. On Amnesty he's actually flip-flopped back to supporting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you should cite the style-over-substance factor when discussing Mitt Romney. When I hear him interviewed on the radio, I think, Hey, this guy really has his crap together! When I see him on TV, there is just something about him that makes him look like a dweeb.

    If Romney could have campaigned by audio only, he'd have won the GOP nomination and the general.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be careful when mocking Bruce Campbell please. Can't somethings remain sacrosanct? Have you no shame?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Romney wishes he were as cool as Bruce Campbell.

    "Well hello Mister Fancypants. Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things, right now: Jack and shit... and Jack left town."

    ReplyDelete