Monday, August 4, 2008

. . . insisted he's 'not a racist'

Bill Clinton, that is:
In his first broadcast interview since his wife dropped out of the Democratic presidential race, former President Bill Clinton said he still has regrets, and insisted he's "not a racist," despite controversies surrounding his comments about Sen. Barack Obama's win in the South Carolina Democratic primary. . . .
"But I am not a racist," he continued. "I've never made a racist comment and I never attacked him [Obama] personally."
Clinton was referring to an uproar surrounding some of his comments in the South Carolina Democratic primary that prompted anger among some in the African American community. After Obama, D-Ill., defeated his wife there, Clinton seemed to downplay the significance of the victory by noting Jesse Jackson had won South Carolina in 1984 and 1988, which some observers found offensive.
Trust me, Bill -- I feel your pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment