Monday, August 25, 2008

D-Day in Denver

Just got into Denver, and my latest American Spectator column is now online:
The ragtag coalition of semi-pro agitators calling themselves "Recreate '68" has dedicated itself to a vain attempt to turn this year's Democratic National Convention in Denver into a simulacrum of the notorious 1968 Chicago convention, when Mayor Richard Daley's cops busted the heads of anti-war protesters in the streets.
As much as I'd love to cover a riot -- or at least be serenaded by the distant music of hippie scum howling in pain while I sip a cold Corona at a sidewalk cafe -- it's unlikely that the misguided nostalgia of "Recreate '68" will be any more successful than the 30th anniversary re-enactment of Woodstock, which notoriously resulted in at least four reported rapes.
This is not your father's peace-and-love generation.
Please read the whole thing.

UPDATE: Anita Thompson's in town and can't quite get the whole "Recreate '68" thing.

I met two North Carolina delegates on the flight into Denver. My seatmate was Don Davis, mayor of Snow Hill, N.C., Democratic candidate for state senate, and an Obama delegate. He introduced me to Chris Hardee of Manteo, N.C., who is a Hillary delegate.

It was from Hardee I heard the news that Hillary is releasing her delegates, as we were on our way to baggage claim.

VodkaPundit picked me up at the airport and we're staying at the home of his friends Matt and Ali Traylor. Right now, VodkaPundit's drinking our host's scotch and we're watching a wee-hours TCM showing of Wanda Nevada with Peter Fonda and Brooke Shields, a cheap imitation of Paper Moon with creepy overtones of Pretty Baby.

Well, I'm about shot. If I fell asleep in 5 minutes, I might get 4 hours of sleep. We'll be on the scene soon

No comments:

Post a Comment