Sunday, June 29, 2008

Get me some coffee, hon

And how about a danish to go with it, sweetheart?
A woman who was fired from her job as a receptionist after she refused to get coffee for the men in the office has lost her Title VII sexual harassment suit now that a federal judge has declared that there's nothing sexist about requiring workers to serve coffee -- even if those workers are always women.
"The act of getting coffee is not, by itself, a gender-specific act," U.S. District Judge Berle M. Schiller wrote in Klopfenstein v. National Sales and Supply.
Schiller found that plaintiff Tamara Klopfenstein failed to allege even a prima facie case of sex discrimination because she cannot show that she was treated differently from any "similarly situated" male employees since there was only one receptionist in the office and the job had always been held by a woman.
Judge Schiller, an American hero!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm one of them there patriarchal oppressors and I get my boss coffee. And I don't think of my self oppressed either. Maybe its because she's my boss? Doesn't seem like something to get upset over...

    ReplyDelete