Tuesday, June 3, 2008

'Crone Wars' update

My American Spectator article yesterday about Hillary Clinton's angry supporters drew a lot of reader mail, including a woman named J. Malone who objected to my use of the term "crone," to which I responded:
My 1967 Thorndike-Barnhart dictionary defines "crone" as "a withered old woman." I refer you to this video, and ask if I have applied the term unjustly. . . .
My apologies if I have offended you by my use of a term that (again, according to Thorndike-Barnhart) derives from a Middle Dutch word meaning "old ewe."
P.S.: I didn't think of that article as an "opinion piece" so much as an analysis, making the point that while older women may not be a trendy constituency, their wrath should not be taken lightly. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Just ask my mother-in-law.
Meanwhile, I've offered to bet Phillip Klein that Hillary keeps fighting all the way to Denver.

UPDATE: Hillary says: "It's not over."

No comments:

Post a Comment